Saturday, February 12, 2011

Wife, birthday, and carrot cake

My wife's birthday falls in February. This means I also bake a carrot cake in February. The first two weeks of this month are always super busy for me with the birthday, and Valentine's Day and the shoveling, and slipping on ice...but I digress.

So I'm making a carrot cake today. I was going to follow this recipe for the "Loveliest Carrot Cake in the World," but my sister-in-law sent me a recipe in the email I will paste below. If you look at them carefully, you'll notice THAT THEY ARE THE SAME!

> She mentioned you were looking for the "world's best carrot cake
> recipe." While I can't promise the "world's best" distinction, this
> is definitely one of the best carrot cakes I've ever had. It's what I
> usually make for Adam's birthday -- and now Theo's, too. Its
> provenance is a bit uncertain: I have it in my recipe book as "Bea
> Fishman's Carrot Cake!", as does my mother, whom I got it from. Bea
> Fishman (friend of my mom's), however, has it in her recipe book as
> "Ruth Hall's Carrot Cake," which would suggest it actually came from
> my grandmother, although my mom has no recollection of her mother ever
> making this. Whether Bea's or Ruth's, here it is:
>
> CAKE
>
> Combine:
> - 1 1/2 C oil
> - 2 C sugar
> - 4 eggs
> and beat until thick and light yellow
>
> Mix in a separate bowl then beat in to above mixture:
> 2 C flour
> 2 tsp cinnamon
> 2 tsp baking powder
> 2 tsp baking soda
> 1 tsp salt
>
> Add:
> 1 1/2 lb carrots —grate in food processor (s/b approx. 3 cups post-
> grate; I often end up with more carrots than this, though)
> 1 C walnuts or pecans, chopped
>
> Pour batter into
> - a sheet pan
> - three 8" rounds
> or
> - two 9" rounds
>
> Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes to one hour.
> Let cool at least 45 minutes before icing (s/b cool to the touch)
>
>
> ICING
>
> Combine:
> - 8 oz. cream cheese
> - 1/2 C butter
> - 1 tsp vanilla
> and beat until smooth.
>
> Beat in:
> 1 lb. powdered sugar (3 3/4 C)
>
> Finally, stir in 1C chopped nuts
>
>
>
> Happy baking and birthday celebrating!
> Love,
> Lauren & fam

1 comment:

  1. Yay, you wrote a new entry. I am going to take credit for your writing since I said the other day that you should make more of an effort. Hope the carrot cake comes out delicious!

    ReplyDelete