Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween Party Apple Crisp

We picked Northern Spy apples three weeks ago, at Cider Hill Farm in Amesbury, with the intention of baking a pie. But it never happened so today I use one of my favorite recipes to make apple crisp. We chose Northern Spy because the farm's handy listing of available apples, of which there are many at Cider Hill, described them as tart, sweet and great for baking, i.e., they don't turn to mush. The recipe is from my friend Sarah, it is super easy. I always add more apples. Today I used eight, in fact I think I bumped everything in the recipe up a little, except for the sugar, I like pie to taste tart. You can even squeeze a little lemon in there, if that's how you like it too.

Apple filling:
6-8 apples, peeled cored and sliced
1 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
1/2 cup sugar

Mix all ingredients above, and toss around together and set aside to work on the topping. Filling will get nice and juicy.

Yummy topping:
3/4 cup sugar (I use 1/2 white and 1/4 brown)
3/4 old fashioned oats
3/4 cup flour (white and wheat mixed)
1 stick of butter all chopped up
1-2 tablespoons molasses

Use a pastry cutter or fork to mix topping ingredients all together. Butter a pie plate (8"-10"). Spoon filling into the pan, press in a little. Spoon and spread topping mixture over the apple filling. Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes. Enjoy!...get some ice cream while it is baking. We will pick up some Richardson's since it is so good, fresh, local and hormone free.

No comments:

Post a Comment